Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Stiff Muscle

  1. Which mindset do you think you are a part of when it comes to "intelligence"? According to the reading, what tells you that you are of this mindset?
When it comes to intelligence I think there are some things you can learn and some things that take longer for one to understand. Well, when I started reading, I noticed that I leaned more on the fixed than the growing mind set when it came to math. I have always felt that my math skills aren't that great. For this reason, I sometimes have my doubts and ask myself why did I even take this class. I'm usually not a quitter and enjoy the academic challenges that are put upon me, but with math I don't see it as a challenge. To me calculus is beyond what I can do and the only reason I stayed was because my Math Teacher truly believes I am capable of doing this and succeeding.

2. How has this mindset helped or hurt you in math?

Well, it surely hasn't helped me at all. It has actually held me back from what I could probably do. When it comes to math I seem to be easily discourage and I know this isn't the way it should work but I can't seem to help it. I just say "Math is NOT my subject" and stick with that. It's hard to change the habit of saying that. I've said for quite a while I'm beginning to believe the my subconscious believes it.

3. What is your reaction to finding out that the brain is just a big muscle that can be trained?

My dad has told me that before so it wasn't a big surprise. Maybe my brain is just one of those stiff muscles that needs more time to train when it comes to math.


4. How do you see this new piece of information affecting your future?

I guess the more logical answer to this question would be
"Yeah I will definitely change and this information will help me in the future" but my problem hasn't been not knowing this information. I guess it would be believing it and putting it to use. I really do want to be better in math but sometimes I get mad at myself because I can't seem to understand the material as fast as other, as fast as I want to understand.

I guess I should go easier on me and believe in myself more than I do...like Ms.Hwang believes I can.

1 comment:

  1. Ok, so you've hit the nail on the head. Because SOOOOO many people say that "math is nOT my subject" and totally use it as an excuse not to work harder!

    Good for you in recognizing something hard to face, Steph.

    ReplyDelete